veg cutlet is a tasty snack recipe made with a mixture of vegetables with potato as a base and mixed with spices. It can be served as such with tomato ketchup or with green chutney. It is a very popular snack item. The addition of vegetables depends upon your preference. I have used carrots, beans, cauliflower and potatoes.
It is perfect tea time snack along with a cup of tea or coffee or can also be served for parties. Cutlets are always deep fried but for healthier version, you can also shallow fry. This is one of the best way to make kids eat veggies.
Cutlets are crisp from outside, and soft from inside. It is very tasty, healthy and easy to make. The vegetable mixture can be prepared in advance and refrigerated and used later on.
Let us see how to make veg cutlet recipe with step by step photos.
veg cutlet recipe
- potato – 2, medium
- french beans – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- carrot – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- cauliflower – 1/4 cup
- oil – 2 tablespoons
- onion – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
- chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- bread crumbs – 1/4 cup
- maida – 2 tablespoons
- water – as required
- breadcrumbs – for coating
- oil – for deep frying
- salt – to taste
how to make veg cutlet recipe
1. Finely chop potatoes, french beans, carrot, cauliflower into a steamer plate and steam cook until all the veggies get cooked well.
2. Take the steamer plate out once the veggies are cooked well.
3. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, add finely chopped onion and saute well on medium flame till onion turns translucent.
4.Add the cooked vegetables and saute well on medium flame for 2 – 3 minutes. Add red chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, and mix well. Transfer the contents to a plate and allow it to cool. Mash well with a potato masher.
5. Add breadcrumbs and mix well.
6. Divide the dough into equal sized balls and slowly shape them into patties.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of maida in a bowl and add water to make a thin paste. Spread breadcrumbs on a plate.
8. Dip each cutlet in the prepared flour mixture and roll in bread crumbs. Repeat the same step with all the cutlets and keep them aside for 10 – 15 minutes.
9. Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot enough, gently slide the prepared cutlets one by one into the hot oil and fry on medium flame till golden brown.
10. Remove the cutlets from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and transfer to an absorbent paper or a kitchen towel to drain excess oil.
11. Serve veg cutlet with tomato ketchup or with green chutney.