I have made this thoran with grated papaya. But you can also make it with chopped papaya also. It is entirely your wish. I have made it exactly in the way I make cabbage throan.
Papaya is one of the healthiest food in the world. It is very easily available in the market. They are rich source of anti-oxidants, such as carotenes, vitamin C and flavonoids. They are also rich in vitamin B, folate and pantothenic acid, minerals, potassium, and fiber. It is also said that papayas are helpful to prevent diabetic heart disease. They are also good for digestion.
Now to the recipe..
papaya – 1 medium grated
turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
salt – to taste
curry leaves – few
oil – 1 tablespoon
mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
dry red chili – 2
urad dal – 1 teaspoon
coconut – 1/2 cup scraped
small onion – 3
green chili – 2
jeera – 1/4 teaspoon
How to make papaya thoran
1.Clean one medium sized papaya. Peel the skin and grate it. Keep it aside. (You can also chop them into pieces. )
2. Add coconut, jeera, green chili, small onion in a mixer jar. Grind it to a coarse paste without adding water. Keep aside.
3. In a pan heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds. Add urad dal, dry red chili, curry leaves and saute till urad dal turns golden brown.
4. Add grated papaya, salt, mix well. (If you are using chopped papaya, add the papaya pieces, salt and 1/4 cup of water. ) Cover the pan with a lid and wait till papaya get cooked well. Stir in between to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. When the papaya pieces are cooked well and the entire moisture is absorbed, add the ground paste, and mix well. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
6. Serve papaya thoran with rice and sambar.