Kumbilappam is a sweet snack of Kerala. It is very delicious and have attractive smell. We used to make this in a special leaf called vazhana leaves(leaf of cinnamon,but bigger one). You can make this with jack fruit or plantain. Here i used jack fruit. If you don’t have cinnamon leaves, you can use plantain leaves instead. Jack fruit is always healthy since it has high fiber content and vitamins. This is a Vishu special snack.
- Jackfruit-20 pieces
- Jaggery-100 gm
- Rice flour-300 gm
- Cardamom-3 nos
- Dry ginger-1 tsp
- Jeera powder-1 tsp
- Sweet coconut water-2 tbsp
- Grated coconut-1 cup
- Coconut bits-1 cup
- Cinnamon leaves- as required
How to Make Kumbilappam
- Separate the seed from the fruit.
- Cut into small pieces and steam it.
- Add to the jaggery syrup. Add spices.
- Stir till it becomes soft and semi thick.
- Add rice flour,coconut,sweet coconut water.(yeast,if you don’t have coconut water)
- Mix and keep for 2 hours. The dough will be like this.
- Make the leaves in triangle shape and fill the dough in it.
- Steam it till it is cooked. Put a sharp knife into it and see the knife is coming clean.