Today’s recipe is a paratha recipe made with whole brown channa. Kids usually don’t prefer vegetables or channa or any healthy thing as such and this is one method by which we can make them eat healthy food without their knowledge. You can make use of left over channa masala for making this paratha, but since I didn’t have any, I have made everything from scratch. Now to the recipe..
wheat flour / atta – 1 cup
salt – as required
water – as required
oil / ghee – 1 teaspoon
whole channa (boiled) – 1 cup
onion (finely chopped) – 1 (small)
ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
green chilly – 1
turmeric powder – a pinch
cumin seeds / jeerakam – 1/2 teaspoon
coriander powder – 1/2 teaspoon
garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
amchoor powder/ manga podi – 1/4 teaspoon
coriander leaves (finely chopped) – 1 tablespoon
1. In a wide mouthed bowl, add wheat flour, salt, ghee and mix well. Add water slowly and knead it to a smooth but firm dough. Cover it with a damp cloth and keep aside for 10 – 20 minutes.
1. Pressure cook soaked channa dal for 5 – 6 whistles or until soft. Wait till pressure subsides, drain water completely and keep it aside. (This water can be made use of for kneading the dough.)
2. Add cooked channa dal to a mixer jar and give it one pulse.
3. In a pan heat oil, add cumin seeds. Let it sizzle, then add chopped green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Saute it well.
4. Now add chopped onion, saute well.
5. Then add all the dry masala powders except garam masala. Saute till raw smell goes off.
6. Now add channa dal paste, and add salt if necessary. Saute and then finally add chopped coriander leaves. Mix it well. Remove it from flame and allow it to cool.
For making parathas
1. Take the dough, make equal sized balls. Similarly make equal sized balls with stuffing also.
2. Roll each ball into a thick circle, add channa dal ball in the middle, and seal it nicely.
3. Dust it with flour, roll it into parathas of desired thickness.
4. Heat a tawa, cook the parathas on both sides, till both sides get golden brown spots.
5. Apply ghee / oil before serving. This can be served with raita.