Erissery is a traditional and very popular dish in Kerala. A variety of erisseries can be prepared by substituting different vegetables, pulses or a combination of both. Here is the recipe of an erissery using raw jackfruit as the main ingredient.
- Raw Jackfruit flesh, deseeded – 500 gm
- Coconut – 1 no, grated
- Cumin Seeds – 1 pinch
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 5 nos
- Garlic clove – 1 no (optional)
- Red Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 3 nos
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves – a few
METHOD OF COOKING:
- Wash and drain the jackfruit flesh, roughly chop them and cook in 2 cups of water adding turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
- Keep aside 1 cup of grated coconut for frying and seasoning.
- Grind together the rest of the grated coconut, cumin seeds, black peppercorns and garlic to a medium fine paste. Make sure it doesn’t become smooth paste.
- When the jackfruit flesh gets fully cooked, add the ground coconut mixture and combine well. Cook on low flame for next 5 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds and add dry red chillies, curry leaves, one cup grated coconut and sauté well till the grated coconut turns light brown color.
- Add the above seasoning into the cooked jackfruit and mix gently.
- Jackfruit erissery is ready and serve hot with brown rice.
SK Recipe No. 349