Idli / dosa is a staple breakfast of South India, which is often served along with sambar which is a lentil based curry and chutney. Chutney is a condiment which is served with South Indian breakfast items like idli / dosa. There are many types of chutney’s prepared and each has its own unique flavor. This chutney is very tasty and easy to prepare. And since it contains carrots, it is very healthy and nutritious. Now to the recipe..
carrot – 2 (small -chopped)
onion – 1 (big – roughly chopped)
dry red chilly – 3 – 4
tomato – 1 (big – roughly chopped)
garlic – 4 – 5
asafoetida powder – one pinch
salt – to taste
urud dal – 1 teaspoon
oil – 1 tablespoon
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add urud dal, dry red chilly, and saute for a few seconds till urud dal becomes golden brown color.
2. Next add chopped onion, garlic, and saute nicely till onion becomes translucent.
3. Add carrots and saute for a few minutes.
4. Now add tomatoes and saute till it becomes mushy. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes till carrot pieces get cooked well. Add 1 teaspoon of water if you feel that the mixture is very dry.
5. Turn off the flame. Let it cool.
6. Transfer the mixture to a mixer jar and blend it nicely. Add one teaspoon of water while blending.
7. Chutney is ready. Serve it with idli / dosa.