Rice dishes are very popular and loved equally by everyone in India, though the name and style changes from place to place. Whether it be dal rice, or variety rice or pulao, what ever be the name, everyone loves it. And in South India, it is a custom to have rice in the afternoon for lunch. Rice with sambar, upperi or poriyal, pappad, pickle, curd and rasam is considered to be a complete lunch but every time it is not possible to make rice with all side dishes especially for kids, who are always in a hurry to finish off their lunch and start playing. So here is a simple rice dish made with cabbage and carrot which is very healthy and also you won’t feel any smell of cabbage as you add mint and whole masalas to it. Now to recipe..
Cooked rice – ¾ cup
Onion – 1 (small)
Garlic – 2 (finely chopped)
Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
Fennel seeds – ¼ tsp
Green chilli – 1
Mint leaves – 10
Carrot (grated) – ¼ cup
Cabbage (finely chopped) – ¼ cup
Pepper powder – ½ tsp
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
Coriander leaves – 1 tablespoon (finely chopped)
Oil/ ghee – 2 tablespoon
cloves – 2
cardamom – 2
cinnamon – 1 piece
- Cook rice and keep it aside. (Don’t overcook rice. The grains should be soft and separate)
- Grate carrots and keep it aside. Finely chop cabbage and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil. When oil is hot enough, splutter mustard seeds.
- Next add finely chopped garlic. When garlic starts changing color, add cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Once cumin starts sizzling, add chopped onion , green chilli and curry leaves. Saute well till onion turns brownish in color.
- Next add mint leaves and sauté again for few more minutes.
- Next stage, add grated carrots, chopped cabbage, salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 2 – 3 minutes so that the cabbage gets cooked well.
- Finely add cooked rice, and sprinkle pepper powder on top. Mix gently and carefully. Check for salt. If necessary, add more. Garnish with coriander leaves