Vattayappam is a traditional dish of Kerala. It can be used as a snack and as a meal. It is a fermented steamed pan cake. It makes in special occasions. This is soft and fluffy. We can make it in different shapes . If we don’t have round vessel to fit correctly in the steamer .We can use idly pan. According to our preference we can use jaggery or white sugar. Beef or chicken curry is the combination for this. My mother in law used to make for dinner. She was making with roasted rice. But today I am going to make it with soaked white rice. When you use roasted rice powder,mix it with hot water.
- Soaked white rice -2 cup
- Grated coconut-1 cup
- Sugar-1 cup
- Cooked rice or paav-4 tbsp
- Yeast -1/4 tsp
- Tutty fruity-to decorate(Cashews,Raisins,Banana,Cherries)
How to Make Vattayappam
- Soak the white rice for 6 hrs.
- Keep the yeast in warm water with 2 tsp sugar for ½ an hour.
(left over old appam batter or sweet coconut water with sugar in an air tight container for 2 days also preferable)
- Grind the rice with coconut,sugar ,yeast and cooked rice as a semi thick batter.
- Keep the batter to ferment for 6 hrs (according to the climate the fermentation time will change)
- Add salt and powdered cardamom . Stir well.
- Keep the steamer on the flame.
- Keep the vessel in it.
- Pour the batter till ½ part of the vessel.
- when it half cooked, put the decorative items over it.
- Close the lid allow to cook.(it is optional to spread oil or ghee in the vessel before pouring the batter.)
- When it is cooked the batter will be doubled and appam will fluffy.
- When it is cool, remove it from the vessel.
- Cut it into pieces. Enjoy it.