Today, I am sharing the recipe of onion tomato chutney. This is an easy to make chutney which can be served with idli / dosa. Onion tomato chutney is very easy to make and you have to roughly chop onion and tomatoes and grind it along with red chilly powder and salt. Then finally temper with mustard seeds, urud dal and curry leaves. Tempering is a very important process in making this chutney. Tempering will remove the raw smell of onion and tomatoes and this will give a nice taste to the chutney otherwise with the raw smell of onion and tomatoes, the chutney will not taste good. This chutney can be served with idli’s or dosas and also with instant rava dosa which I shared yesterday. There is another method also for making onion tomato chutney where all the ingredients are sauteed in oil, and then ground. Both the methods are extremely tasty. This recipe I learnt from my mother and the second one from my MIL. So do try out this tasty recipe of onion tomato chutney for idli / dosa.
red chilli powder – 1 -2 teaspoon
salt – to taste
oil – 1 tablespoon
mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
urud dal – 1/2 teaspoon
curry leaves – few
1. Chop onion and tomatoes into cubes.
2. In a mixer jar, add chopped onion, tomato, red chilli powder and salt. Grind it to a smooth paste.
3. In another pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Then add curry leaves, urud dal and saute till urud dal becomes golden brown in color.
4. Next, add the ground paste and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well.
5. Lower the flame and let the chutney cook in medium flame for 5 minutes until you get the desired consistency.
6. Serve with idli / dosa.
If you find this post useful, I would be happy if you can share it with your friends in google+, facebook or twitter. All you have to do is click the corresponding button.