Thoran is served as a side dish for rice along with sambar or any other curry. Thoran can be made with various vegetables, like beans, long beans, okra, potato, and so many other vegetables. Parippu thoran is made with toor dal and it goes wvery well with rice and other dishes. Though this thoran can be served with any curry like theeyal, moru curry and so on but usually, I don’t serve parippu thoran with sambar as sambar contains toor dal. Now let us see how to make dal thoran or parippu thoran
Dal / thuvara parippu – ½ cup
Water – ¾ cup
Coconut (grated) – ½ cup
Fennel seeds – ¼ teaspoon
Green chilly – 1 – 2
Shallots – 2 – 3
Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
Dry red chilly – 2
Curry leaves – few
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
1. Clean and wash toor dal. Pressure cook toor dal with salt for 2 whistles with ¾ cup of water. Keep it aside.
2. Meanwhile, grind coarsely grated coconut, fennel seeds, green chilly, shallots and turmeric powder. Keep aside.
3. In a pan heat oil. When oil becomes hot, add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add dry red chilly, curry leaves and sauté for a few more seconds.
4. Then add the ground coconut mixture, and sauté for few more minutes.
5. Then add cooked dal , gently mix it , add required amount of salt. Gently mix well. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Turn off the stove.