After hogging on all the fancy and rich food for several days, my soul craved for something simple. So today we made dal and rice with stir-fried cabbage on the side. Dal and rice is my ultimate comfort food. Any dry side-dish would taste fabulous. It just cannot go wrong.
Instead of the usual fried potatoes I made dry cabbage curry that gets ready within minutes. It is a humble dish that will tickle your taste-buds and comfort your mind. This is a good recipe when you cannot devote much time to cooking meals.
This recipe will serve 4. Let us see how to make stir-fried cabbage.
- Cabbage – 400 grams, shredded
- Garlic – 10 cloves, chopped
- Green chilies – 3, split lengthwise.
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Garam Masala – A pinch
- Curry leaves – 10-15 leaves
- Salt – To taste
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tbsp
How to Make Stir Fried Cabbage
- Heat oil in a skillet. Toss in the chopped garlic and sauté it till it turns golden. Add in the mustard seeds and allow it to sizzle.
- Add in the green chilies and curry leaves, sauté further for a few seconds.
- Now add the turmeric powder and red chili flakes. Sauté for a second taking care not to burn the spices. Quickly add in the shredded cabbage and mix well.
- Season it with salt. Drizzle some lemon juice and sauté the cabbage on medium heat for 2 minutes constantly tossing it. Cook the cabbage till it is done. We want the cabbage to stay crisp and not become soggy.
- Sprinkle a pinch of garam masala for some nice aroma. Give it a final toss.
Stir-fried cabbage is ready. Serve hot with dal and rice rotis.