Today, I am sharing a very tasty and easy to make curry for rice which is made with snake gourd. I have already shared the recipe of snake gourd curry, which was a Kerala style preparation but today’s recipe is a different one. Here the spices and coconut is roasted and the curry is made. This gives a nice flavor and taste to the curry. Now to the recipe
podalangai / snakegourd – 2 cups
moong dal – 1/2 cup
turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
salt – to taste
urud dal – 1 tablespoon
dry red chilly – 2
grated coconut – 1 tablespoon
pepper corns – 1 teaspoon
cumin – 1 teaspoon
coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
dry red chilly – 1
urud dal – 1/2 teaspoon
hing – a pinch
curry leaves – few
1. Wash, scrape and deseed snakegourd. Cut into bite sized pieces.
2. In a pressure cooker, add dal, chopped snakegourd, turmeric powder, salt and enough water and cook for 2 whistles.
3. Meanwhile, in a pan heat oil, add urud dal and dry red chilly. When dal turns light brown color, then add pepper corns, cumin and grated coconut. Saute till coconut becomes dry. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
4. Once cooled, grind it to a fine paste.
5. Now add the ground paste with the cooked vegetables. If you find that the mixture is thick, then add little water. Let it boil for 2 -3 minutes.
6. Take another pan, add coconut oil / ghee. When hot enough, add mustard seeds, urud dal and curry leaves. Then pour it into the gravy. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Serve it hot with rice or as a side dish.