Palak paneer is very easy to prepare. You can prepare palak paneer by either blanching the palak first, then grinding it and cooking it. Or you can first chop the palak, cook it and then grind it. I am sharing the first method here of blanching the palak first and then grinding and then cooking. But in this method, there are chances that some of the vital nutrients get lost.
You can serve palak paneer with roti, naan, paratha or with rice items like jeera rice. You can also substitute paneer with potatoes or with tofu.
Palak paneer recipe
for palak puree:
palak / spinach – 1 bunch
green chili – 2
water – as required
ghee / oil – 2 tablespoons
cloves – 2
cinnamon stick – 1-inch piece
bay leaf – 1
onion – 1 (medium – finely chopped)
tomato – 1 (medium – finely chopped)
ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon
cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon
salt – to taste
paneer – 200 grams
water – 1/2 cup
butter – 1 teaspoon (optional)
How to make palak paneer
1. Clean palak leaves well under clear running water. You can take the leaves alone. If the stem is tender, use them else, discard.
2. Boil water in a pan. Bring it to a rolling boil. Add the palak leaves and leave it aside for 2 – 3 minutes. After that, drain the excess water, take the palak leaves alone and put it in cold water.
3. Remove the palak leaves and transfer it to a mixer jar. To this add green chilies, and grind it to a smooth paste. There is no need to add water while making spinach puree.
4. Heat oil or ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and saute till cumin sizzles.
5. Add chopped onion and saute till onion turns translucent.
6. Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell goes off.
7. Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and saute on low flame till the raw smell of masala goes away.
8. Add finely chopped tomatoes and saute well till they turn soft and mushy.
9. Add spinach (palak) puree, and 1/2 cup of water. Mix well. Lower the flame and let the spinach get cooked for 5 minutes.
10. Add salt, mix well.
11. Chop paneer into cubes and add it to the spinach puree. Stir gently and let it cook for a minute or until the paneer pieces get cooked well.
12. Finally, add a teaspoon of butter on top, mix gently.