Caldereta or kaldereta is a very popular filipino dish. This dish is a favorite of many Filipinos because of the richness of its sauce. I love beef caldereta than other caldereta’s. I think beef is the best meat for this dish. But if you find beef expensive or just want to use a different meat, you can also use goat meat, pork or chicken meat.
By the way, caldereta is usually served during special occasion such as fiesta, birthday and Christmas. Personally, I only cooked caldereta on regular days because I find this dish time consuming. If you have pressure cooker then you can save time but if you don’t have one then you will need to boil the meat for 1-2 hours to make it tender.
Here’s my beef caldereta recipe, let me know what you think of dish or if you have a better version then please share. I love exchanging ideas with fellow food lovers.
Beef Caldereta Recipe
- 1 kilo beef, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onion, chopped
- 1/4 Cup Olives
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper
- Green peas
- Chili or red pepper
- 1 Cup tomato Sauce
- 1 Piece knorr beef cube
- 1 Cup beef broth or water
- Worcestershire sauce
- Liver spread
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate the beef in Worcestershire sauce for about 30 minutes.
- In a cooking pot, saute onion and garlic.
- Put in the beef, cook until the meat changes color.
- Next, pour the broth or water and beef cube. Bring to a boil.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, reduce heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Add in liver spread.
- Add in potatoes, cook for 5 minutes before adding the carrots. Cook for 3 minutes more then add the chili peppers.
- Add in bell peppers and olives. Simmer for 2 minutes. Put in the cheese. Turn off the heat and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.