Potato-Broken Wheat Kebabs Recipe with step by step pictures.
If you are a fan of healthy snack recipes that can be prepared in a jiffy, then I am sure you will love this kebab recipe. This is a vegetarian kebab recipe made from potatoes and broken wheat. Broken wheat is a healthy ingredient and I often involve it in my recipes. Mom has made some medu vadas from broken wheat. Broken wheat is known as daliya in Hindi. There was some leftover broken wheat and I used it up with potatoes to make these kebabs and they turned out delicious.
The broken wheat imparts a unique texture to the kebabs, a bit chewy, which perfectly compliments the softness of the potatoes. I have added some cashews for a nice nutty flavor and some raisins for an occasional tangy sweetness. In the end, I had dipped the kebabs in simple batter to have a nice, crispy layer on the outside. Also, it prevents the oil to seep into the kebab and keeps it from disintegrating.
I served these daliya kebabs with a cheese dip. It’s a very simple dip and I have shared the recipe as well. You can serve these with any dip of your liking. Let’s start with the recipe of Potato-Broken wheat kebabs. This recipe makes about 15-16 kebabs depending on the size. For the purpose of measurement, 1 cup = 250 ml.
- Potatoes – 4 medium, boiled and mashed
- Broken wheat – 1/2 cup, washed, soaked for an hour, drained and squeezed
- Bread slices – 2, dipped in water, squeezed and mashed
- Salt – to taste
- Kasoori methi – 2 tsp, dry roasted and crushed between your palms
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Green chilies – 4, finely chopped or crushed
- Coriander seeds – 1 and 1/2 tsp, coarsely crushed
- Coriander leaves – a handful, finely chopped
- Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
- All-purpose flour/Maida – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 15, broken into smaller bits
- Raisins – 30 grains
- Oil – for deep frying
For the Coating
- Maida/All purpose flour – 1 tbsp
- Cornstarch – 1 tbsp
- Water – 5 to 6 tbsp
How to Make Potato-Broken Wheat Kebabs Recipe
- Take the broken wheat, bread, boiled potatoes, green chilies, kasoori methi, onion, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, coriander seeds, salt, and coriander leaves in a large bowl.
- Mix everything well. Add in the cashew nuts and raisins.
- Mix again to form a dough. It should bind well and shouldn’t be too sticky.
- Let’s prepare the batter for coating the kebabs. Take all purpose flour and cornstarch in a bowl.
- Add in water to make a batter of medium consistency.
- Make kebabs out of the dough. Keep the oil to heat. Dip a kebab in the coating batter.
- Coat it well. Let the excess batter drip.
- When the oil is hot, turn the flame to medium. Carefully drop in a kebab. I fried 3-4 kebabs at a time since my skillet is small. Do not overcrowd. Fry the kebabs on low to medium heat till they become golden brown. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Remove them onto a kitchen towel to drain he excess oil.
- In the meanwhile, prepare the cheesy dip. Take 4 tbsp of creamy cheese spread, 1 tbsp of hot and sweet tomato ketchup and 3/4 tsp of pizza seasoning.
- Mix well. Dip is ready.
- Serve the potato-broken wheat kebabs hot or warm with your favorite dip. These taste great even when cold. Enjoy!