Chicken biryani – is a tasty rice dish which is widely made throughout India. There are various variations to this biryani from place to place. Thalassery biryani is very famous in Kerala whereas there are many varieties of biryani in Tamil Nadu like Ambur biryani, Thalappakatti biryani and so on. Today, I am sharing an easy method of making this delicious rice dish.
This method of making chicken biryani makes use of pressure cooker which makes it very fast and easy to make dish. Usually, I use biryani masala powder (store bought) whenever I make biryani. Today, I used homemade biryani masala which gave a nice taste and flavor to the dish.
How to Make Chicken Biryani in Pressure Cooker
- basmati rice – 1 1/2 cup
- chicken – 500 gms
- cloves – 3
- cinnamon – 1 piece
- bay leaf – 2
- elaichi – 2
- star anise – 1
- ginger garlic paste – 1/2 teaspoon
- fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- green chillies – 5
- onion – 2(sliced)
- tomatoes – 2 (chopped)
- coriander leaves – few
- mint leaves – handful
- ghee +oil – 2 tablespoon
- salt – to taste
- curd / yogurt – 1 tablespoon
- curd – 1 1/2 tablespoon
- ginger garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
- red chilly powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- coriander powder – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- salt – 1 1/2 teaspoon
- lemon juice – juice of 1/2 lemon
For masala powder
- cloves – 3
- cinnamon – 1
- shah jeera – 2 pinches
- cumin seeds / jeera – 2 pinches
- cardamom – 1
- mace / jathipatri – 1
- star anise – 1/2
1. Wash and rinse basmati rice in clear water and soak it for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, drain the water and keep it aside.
2. In a bowl add chicken pieces and add all the ingredients given under “for marination”. Mix well and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, grind the ingredients given under “for masala powder” and keep it aside.
4. In a pressure cooker add the marinated chicken pieces and 1 cup of water. Let it cook for 2 whistles. Once the pressure subsides, take the chicken pieces out. Measure the water which is left after cooking the chicken. It will be more than 1 cup. (I got exactly 1 1/2 cups). Keep it aside.
5. In a pressure cooker heat oil + ghee, add all the whole spices, and saute for a few seconds.
6. Then add sliced onion, and saute till it becomes translucent. Next add ginger garlic paste and green chillies. Saute for a few seconds till the raw smell goes off.
7. Next add mint leaves and saute again
8. Add chopped tomatoes, saute well till it turns mushy. Now add curd / yogurt and mix well
9. Now add water in the ratio 1:1 1/2 ratio. (ie 1 cup of rice and 1 1/2 cups of water. I got exactly 1 1/2 cups of masala water. So I added 1 1/2 cups of water also. ). Add the required amount of salt.
10. Let it come to a boil. Then add soaked and drained rice and chicken pieces. Cover the pressure cooker, put the whistle and keep in sim for 10 minutes.
11. Wait till the pressure subsides. Fluff the rice with a fork. Serve it with raita.