Hello buddies. Today I am sharing the recipe of chana masala which is made using kala chana. Previously I had shared the recipe of Chana Masala using kabuli chana or chole. I got this kala chana recipe from one of the old magazines of my Mom’s collection. I altered the original recipe a bit and this magically yummy dish was ready in no time!
Having chana masala with hot lachchha parathas on a rainy day is so therapeutic! Had a long day at work? Good food makes you forget it all!
For the purpose of measurement, 1 cup = 250 ml. So let us see how to make chana masala.
- Black chickpea / kala chana – 1 cup
- Onion- 2, medium, finely sliced
- Tomatoes- 3 medium, pureed
- Garlic – 8 flakes, crushed
- Green chilies- 2, split lengthwise
- Red chili powder – 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/3 tsp
- Chhole masala – 2 tsp
- Garam masala – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Fresh cream – 3 tbsp
- Honey – 1 tsp
- Chopped cilantro – For garnish
- Kasoori Methi – 1 tsp, lightly roasted and crushed between your palms
- Salt – To taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Water – 1 cup
How to Make Chana Masala
- Pressure cook the chickpeas with enough water and some salt. 5 to 6 whistles would suffice. Open the pressure cooker when the pressure is released. Remove 1/4 cup of chickpea puree them using some water.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add cumin seeds to it and allow them to sizzle. Toss in the onion and fry them till golden. Add the garlic and green chilies and fry for a few till the raw smell disappears.
- Pour in the tomato puree and sauté it till the oil begins to separate. This may take 10 to 12 minutes.
- It’s time to add the spices. Add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masalm, chhole masala, salt and sauté for a minute. Add in the ground chickpea paste. Stir everything well.
- Add the whole chickpeas and sauté it with the spices for a couple of minutes. Add water to adjust the consistency and bring it to boil. Check the salt. Cover the pan with the lid and let it simmer for 7-8 minutes. Add in the kasoori methi, honey and cream. Mix well. Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Chana Masala ready! Serve hot with chapati, roti, or rice! I served it with lachccha paratha, the recipe of which I will share next.