Upma is a common South Indian breakfast. Though traditionally it is made of rava, here is the simple recipe of a different type of upma using Broken Wheat as the main ingredient.
- Broken Wheat – 2 cups
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Urad Daal – 1 tsp
- Dry Red Chilly – 2 nos
- Curry Leaves – few
- Onion – 1, finely chopped
- Green Chilly – 2 nos, finely chopped
- Ginger, finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Grated Coconut – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 1 cup
METHOD OF COOKING:
- Wash and soak the broken wheat in enough water for about 10 minutes. Then drain it using a strainer and aside for 5 more minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds. Add urad dal, dry red chilly, curry leaves and sauté well for few seconds.
- Add onion, little salt, green chilly, ginger and sauté well until the onion turns to light golden color.
- Add in salt and water. Cover the pan and allow the water to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, add the soaked broken wheat, mix well, cover the pan and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in between twice or thrice, add grated coconut and mix well.
- Broken Wheat Upma is ready and serve hot.
Recipe No. 95