BLACK POMFRET CURRY ആവോലി കറി is an authentic Kerala style mildly spiced fish curry using fresh Black Pomfret cooked in a ground coconut based gravy. This is a good accompaniment with boiled rice.
- Black Pomfret (ആവോലി) – 500 gms
- Red Chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek powder – 1 pinch
- Ginger, finely chopped – 2 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Green Chilli – 4 nos., slit
- Shallots – 4 nos., sliced
- Curry Leaves – a few
- Grated Coconut – ½ coconut
- Gambooge (Kudampuli) – 4 pieces
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as required
METHOD OF COOKING :
- Clean and drain the fish, cut them into medium sizes and keep aside.
- Grind together the grated Coconut, Red Chilli powder, Coriander powder, Turmeric powder, and Fenugreek powder with little water to make a smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp Coconut Oil in a pan (preferably in a Clay Pot), add Fenugreek seeds followed by the Shallots, Ginger, Garlic, Curry Leaves and sauté till the oil separates.
- Add ground Coconut masala paste, Gambooge (kudampuli) and 1 cup of water and let to boil.
- When the water starts boiling, add the Fish pieces and Salt.
- Add enough water to immerse the fish pieces and cook on low heat.
- When the Fish pieces are almost cooked, increase the heat and continue cooking till the gravy thickens and the oil gets separate at the side of the pan.
- Add 1 tbsp Coconut Oil, few more Curry Leaves and gently mix it
- Serve hot with rice.
Recipe No. 167