Varutharacha meen curry is a fish curry of Gods Own Country. Its a best recipe for the traditional fish curry using roasted grounded coconut along with some traditional spices. Roasted to a golden brown perfection and ground to a very fine paste. Fish is cooked in this paste along with fish tamarind/ kudam puli, and seasoned with roasted fenugreek seeds and shallots. Varutharacha meen curry is a very spicy curry which goes well with parboiles rice( Palakkadan Matta Rice) chappathi or puttu. You can use king fish, prawns, mackerel and rounded scad with the same recipe. Its a very simple and easy way recipe. The coconut and spices are roasted in a frying pan without adding oil. Lets see how I am going to make this fish curry.
Varutharacha Meen Curry Recipe
- Fish/Rounded Scad- 1/2 kg
- Tomato-2,Cut into 8 pieces
- Green chillies- 4, split in lengthwise
- Ginger- 1 tsp, chopped
- Salt- to taste
- Cocum/kudampuli-4, if its dry, soak in hot water with little salt
To Roast and Grind
- Grated Coconut- 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1tsp
- Pepper corns- 1tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder-1 tbsp
- Corriander powder- 1tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Coconut oil- 1tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds- 1tsp
- Shallots- 2tsp, chopped
- Curry leaves- 3 sprig
How to Make Varutharacha Meen Curry
- Clean the fish thoroughly with salt andlemon juice, cut it into curry sized pieces. Washed and drain and keep it aside.
- Soak the Tamarind/kudampuli in 1/2 cup water and salt. Keep it aside.
- Heat a frying pan and add the ingredients listed under’ To Roast and Grind’ one by one.
- when it start to turn golden brown add shallots. Saute it for a minute.
- Now add peppercorns and fenugreek seeds and saute well for 1 minute.
- Now add the chilly powder, corriander powder, turmeric powder and saute well in a low flame for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool completely. Add half a cup of water to the roasted ingedients and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Take a clay pot/manchatti, add ground paste, salt, cocoum/kudampuli, tomatoes, and cook for a few minutes.
- when curry starts to boil, add the fish pieces and stir the pot. Allow the fish to cook for 5 minutes in medium flame.
- Now add chopped ginger and green chillies. Cover and cook till the gravy get thick.
- Heat a frying pan, pour coconut oil. Add fenugreek seeds, shallots and curry leaves. Saute till it becomes golden brown
- Pour the seasoning to the curry and stir. close it with lid and keep if close for 30 minutes
- Serve it along with rice, chappathi, puttu etc.
- Enjoy !!