Like I had mentioned in my previous post of Pav Bhaji Recipe, I make extra pav bhaji to relish on the next day because it tastes just gorgeous. For many of us, it all about what to do with leftover pav bhaji. For me it is more about what delicious novelty to create with the extra pav bhaji I made. I make open face sandwiches, tawa pulao and grilled cheese sandwiches with the pav bhaji. Once I had used the pav bhaji instead of pizza sauce to make pizzas!
So, this time I made two-cheese pav bhaji sandwich. I used cheddar cheese for the creamy cheesy goodness and mozzarella for the sinfully cheesy strings it creates. I have learned that the secret to a good sandwich is toasting the bread on both the sides. I didn’t have my sandwich maker at hand. So I toasted the sandwich on tawa / griddle instead. Grilling will make the sandwich equally delicious.
This recipe is for 4 sandwiches. You can adjust the amount of ingredients depending on the number of sandwiches you want to make. You can use brown bread. You can also cut the crust off. Since there is the spicy pav bhaji filling, I don’t need anything on the side except for the cooling cucumber yogurt to cut the heat. The tiny chunks of fresh cucumber dressed in silky yogurt create a burst of flavors!
For the purpose of measurement, 1 cup = 250 ml. Now let us see how to make a scrumptious pav bhaji sandwich.
- Bread slices – 8
- Butter – As needed
- Cheddar cheese slices – 4
- Mozzarella cheese – 1/2 cup
- Pav Bhaji – 3/4 cup
How to Make Pav Bhaji Sandwich
- Heat the pav bhaji is a pan. You can reduce it a bit, if you think there is a lot of moisture.
- Take 2 bread slices. Apply butter to one of the sides of both the bread slices.
- Toast the buttered sides of the bread on a hot tawa/griddle or in a sandwich griller. It should turn golden. Remove the bread slices onto a plate.
- Place a slice of cheddar cheese on one of the bread slice, toasted side in.
- Apply generous amount of pav bhaji over the cheese slice.
- Now it’s time to add the second cheese. Sprinkle generous amount of shredded mozzarella cheese over the pav bhaji layer.
- Pack the sandwich with another bread slice. Toasted side in.
- Now toast the sandwich on both sides on the tawa / griddle or in the sandwich griller till golden brown and crispy. Keep the heat between low to medium so that the cheese would melt well. To get a nice crust on the outside, apply some butter to the sandwich as you toast / grill it.
- Two-cheese pav bhaji sandwich is ready. Cut the sandwich into two halves. Make the remaining sandwiches in the same manner. Serve hot with chilled cucumber yogurt.
Now let’s see how to make Chilled Cucumber Yogurt
- Thick yogurt – 1/2 cup, chilled
- Cucumber – 1, chopped into small bits
- Black salt / Rock salt – 1/3 tsp or to taste
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
How to Make Chilled Cucumber Yogurt
- Whisk the chilled yogurt for a few seconds till it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add in the sugar and whisk till the sugar dissolves in the yogurt.
- Now season the yogurt with black salt and mix well.
- Finally add in the chopped bits of cucumber and mix well.
- Chilled Cucumber Yogurt is ready to beat the heat! Serve immediately on the side with the sandwich. Enjoy!