Hey foodies. Today I am back with another simple lunch recipe, Stir fried okra! Like I always say, bhindi or okra is a very versatile vegetable. You can create as complex or as simple recipe as you wish and still get delectable results. Today I made simple stir fry with a few basic spices and this dry okra curry was ready in a jiffy.
This okra recipe goes well with piping hot phulkas as well as dal rice. Since I was home alone today and didn’t feel like cooking a full meal, a cooked a handful of okra and served it with phulkas and pickle. So this recipe is for one person. Let’s see how to prepare this incredibly easy recipe of okra stir fry.
- Okra/Bhindi – 20-25, small sized
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Green chili – 1, chopped
- Red chili powder – 1/3 tsp or to taste
- Turmeric – 1/3 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/3 tsp
- Jeera powder/Roasted cumin powder – a pinch
- Amchur/ Dry mango powder – 1/4 tsp
How to Make Stir Fried Okra
- Wash okra well. Chop off the top and tail part and spread it onto a kitchen towel to dry. Cut the okra into small pieces, about 1/3 of and inch.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add in the okra and stir well. Cook the okra till its half done. Keep the heat between low to medium. Stir often.
- Add in the salt and green chilies. I used very tender okra and so it got cooked very fast. If your okra is not getting cooked as fast, consider covering the skillet with a lid for 2-3 minutes and turn the heat to low.
- When the okra is almost cooked and oil begins to separate, add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, amchur powder and jeera powder.
- Mix well. Let it cook for another 1-2 minutes till the raw smell of the spices is gone.
- Stir-fried okra is ready. Serve hot with dal rice, phulkas with some pickle and plain curd. Enjoy!