Matar mushroom masala is a tasty side dish for chapati or rice. Matar mushroom masala is a very popular recipe and is served in almost all the restaurants in India. But this recipe which I am sharing here is a regular home version of the famous curry.
This curry makes use of two main ingredients: matar / green peas and mushrooms. I have used button mushrooms for making this curry but you can make use of any variety of mushrooms available to you. You can also make use of fresh , frozen or dry green peas to make this curry. But make sure to use more water if you are using fresh green peas as it takes more time to get cooked. Soak dry green peas and pressure cook it before you use them in the curry. Now to the recipe:
onion – 1 (finely chopped)
ginger – 1/2 teaspoon
garlic – 1/2 teaspoon
green chilies – 2
tomatoes – 3 (medium – finely chopped)
red chili powder – 1/2 teaspoon – 1 teaspoon
coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
garam masala – 1/2 teaspoon
water – as required
oil – 2 tablespoon
coriander leaves – few (finely chopped)
How to make matar mushroom masala
1. Clean and wash mushrooms in clear water, wipe them dry with a dry cloth and keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Add chopped onion and saute well till it becomes translucent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies and saute till the raw smell of ginger garlic goes off.
4. Now add chopped tomato and saute well till it becomes soft and mushy and oil starts separating.
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, mix well and saute again for few more minutes till the raw smell completely goes off.
6. Add chopped mushroom pieces, green peas and mix well. Add required amount of water.
7. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low flame till the peas get cooked well.
8. Once cooked, add garam masala and cook well. Finally, add chopped coriander leaves, give it a quick stir and turn off the flame.
9. Serve with roti, chapati, poori or naan.