How to make Lauki Chana Dal Recipe/Lauki Chana Dal Pressure Cooker Recipe/Lauki Aur Chana Dal Ki Sabzi Recipe with step by step pictures.
Hi Buddies! There is a healthy indian recipe for you. This lauki aur chana dal ki sabzi comes from the punjabi cuisine. This recipe of lauki chana dal is delicious easy and healthy lunch box recipe. Kids avoid bottle gourd/lauki ki sabzi try this spicy Indian bottle gourd recipe for your kid’s lunch box.
Soak the chana dal/Bengal gram for half an hour which helps it to cook fast and whole. The masala gives a spicy flavor to the sabji. It includes red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder. Methi dana/fenugreek seeds delivers flavor to the sabji.
I made this recipe in pressure cooker. Pressure cooker helps to cook the food in less time. You can also make this recipe in pan for that you need extra water to cook till the chana dal/Bengal grams softens and cooks well.
Lauki chana dal ki sabji goes well with roti/Indian bread and jeera rice. I like to have complete thali of lauki chana dal ki sabji, roti, rice, pickle and papad. Lauki chana dal recipe is a good side dish for rice.
Lauki Chana Dal recipe yields 4 servings. For the purpose of measurement, 1 cup = 250ml.
- Chana Dal/Split bengal gram – 100 grams
- Fenugreek seeds/methi dana – ¼ tsp
- Lauki/bottlegourd – 100 grams, chopped
- Onion – 1, sliced, big
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Tomato – 1, chopped, big
- Curry leaves – 8 – 10 leaves
- Corainder leaves – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Water – 100 ml
- Salt – To taste.
How to make Lauki With Chana Dal Recipe.
- Place the chopped bottlegourd/lauki into the water.
- Wash and soak the bengal gram/ chana dal for half an hour.
- Heat a pressure cooker and add oil into it. Now place methi dana/fenugreek seeds and allow it to crackle. Add ginger and garlic paste into the hot oil and mix them well.
- Now place chopped onion and allow it to fry for 1-2 minutes and add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder into the oil. Mix them well.
- Place curry leaves and mix it.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the masala and mix them well.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook on low flame. When the masala starts leaving oil at the edges, it is the sign that the masala is ready.
- Now place the chopped bottlegourd/lauki into the masala.
- Drain off the water from the bengal gram/chana dal. Add the soaked bengal gram/chana dal and salt to the masala.
- Add water and mix them well.
- Close the pressure cooker with the lid. Take a whistle on high flame and reduce the flame to low. Allow it to cook for 10 – 12 minutes on low flame. Off the flame and open the lid after 5 minutes. Mix them well.
- Lauki chana dal is ready to serve. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti, paratha, rice, pickle and papad. Enjoy!