This is my amma/mom style of chicken preparation, i still remember having this dish from my childhood. This kerala-style chicken roast is one of her specialties and we all love it. She always prepare all non-veg food with her own home made masala, here also today am going to roast some spices and coconut powder to make a smooth powder masala for this aromatic chicken curry. I powdered coconut for easy roasting. This chicken roast is a fablous prepartion with coconut oil, and coconut powder. Here I am using Tender chicken for cooking this particular dish, it give more taste. Lets see how am going to make kerala style chicken roast. Its a very easy recipe and really delicious. This chicken roast pair with ghee rice, pulao etc.
Kerala Chicken Roast Recipe/Kerala Style
- Chicken- 500g, with born
- Onion- 2, finely chopped
- Ginger paste-2 tsp
- Garlic paste-2tsp
- Coconut oil-1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Kashmiri chilly powder-1tsp for colour
For making powder masala
- Dry red chillies – 9
- Corriander seeds- 3tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Green Cardamon- 4
- Cinnamon- 2
- Pepper corns- 1tsp
- Fennel seeds- 1tsp
- Coconut powder- 1 cup
How to Make Kerala Chicken Roast/Kerala Style
- Wash chicken and cut into curry pieces, drain water and keep it aside
- Heat a frying pan roast the ingreients listed under ‘For making powder masala’.
- Dry roast spices well and add powdered coconut powder also and saute it for 2 minutes. Do not allow coconut to change colour.
- To make a fresh powder masala grind it to a fine powder and keep it aside. If u want you can prepare this in bulk and store also, but fresh masala taste too good than a stored one.
- Heat a sauce pan pour 1tbsp coconut oil, add cumin seeds and saute well.
- Now add chopped onions and saute well till onions turns to translucent and golden brown. Then add ginger, garlic paste. Saute for 2 minutes in a medium low heat.
- Now add the powdered masala and saute it well for 1 minute.
- Add Chicken and mix well, add salt and kashmiri chilly powder for colour.
- Now add 1 cup of warm water, close and cook it for 25 minutes. Until the gravy thickens.
- Keep it in a very low flame for 10 minutes and off flame, allow to rest for 5 mints. Then serve along with pulao, rice , ghee rice etc.
- Enjoy !!