Today I am sharing the recipe of kadala curry or channa curry. It is a very tasty accompaniment for puttu. Kadala is a malayalam word for channa and here for this recipe, normal whole brown channa is made use of. Puttu and kadala curry for puttu is a very tasty and healthy breakfast dish served in Kerala and is usually served with kadala curry. Kadala curry can also be served with dosa or chapathi. Now to the recipe..
kadala – 1 cup
onion – 1
tomato – 1
green chillies – 2
ginger garlic paste – 1 teaspoon
turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
chilly powder – 1/2 teaspoon
coriander powder – 1 1/2 tablespoon
curry leaves – few
coriander leaves – few (finely chopped)
coconut oil – 1 tablepoon
salt – to taste
grated coconut – 1 cup
cinnamon – 1 inch piece
cloves – 2
pepper – 1/2 teaspoon
fennel seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
shallots – 3 – 4
1. Soak channa in water overnight (or for 8 – 10 hours). Wash it and pressure cook it for 5 – 6 whistles.
2. In a pan, heat oil, add scraped coconut and roast it till it becomes golden brown color.
3. Then reduce the flame to low and add red chilly powder, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric powder to it and saute till the raw smell goes off.
4. Turn off the stove, keep aside. Let it cool.
5. In a mixer jar, add roasted coconut, fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and grind into a smooth paste adding enough water.
6. In a pan, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, chopped onion and saute till it becomes brownish in color. Then add ginger garlic paste, green chilly and saute till the raw smell goes off.
7. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute till it turns mushy and oil starts coming on the sides. Add chopped coriander leaves and saute for few more minutes.
8. Now add boiled channa and cook nicely for few more minutes.
9. Add the boiled coconut paste, salt and mix nicely. Allow it to boil for some time.
10. Serve hot with puttu, dosa or with chapathi.