Hello buddies. How are you doing? I know I had promised in my previous post that I will share the recipe of Cheese Fries. But I put it on the back-burner for a while because I wanted to share this recipe first. Today I made chilli cheese toast for my friends. I had been meaning to make it since a long time, but it just wasn’t happening.
The finest, funniest and the most adorable thing about best friends is that they walk into your home, open the fridge and start hogging on your food. It makes me feel great. I get to do the honors too when I visit them. There is a feeling of belongingness. There is no place for formalities. But today my two very hungry homegirls didn’t find any food in my fridge. So I decided to make them a yummy and quick treat – Chilli Cheese Toast. I made 8 of these. I managed to take pictures before my friends could lay their hands on the last couple of them.
Chilli Cheese Toast is believed to have its origin in Britain. It eventually gained popularity in the US and later on rest of the world. It may look like a very simple recipe; but if you want it to turn out perfect, you must pay attention to the nitty-gritty of it. According to my experience on feasting of endless number of these crunchy, cheesy delights, there are 6 commandments to make a perfect Chilli Cheese Toast.
- The bread should be very crispy. Toasting it on low heat for a long time does the magic.
- Toast the bread twice.
- Don’t skimp on cheese.
- Green chilies are the star ingredient. The onion and capsicum are the sidekicks.
- Adding some milk keeps the cheese from drying up. You can have this Chilli Cheese Toast cold as well. It will still taste gorgeous.
- Add either black pepper powder or red chili flakes to the cheese mixture. Adding both is not a good idea.
When you bite into a well-made Chilli Cheese Toast, the toasted bread will make a crunchy sound, the cheese would be soft and molten and it will have prominent flavor of green chilies and subtle flavors of onion and capsicum.
You can replace spring onion with the regular onion. You can use red bell pepper instead of capsicum. Soaking the onion in cold water for a few minutes helps remove its strong, pungent smell.
- I used the small bread slices. You can use the large bread slices that are twice as big. If you keep the amount of cheese mixture same, use 4 large bread slices instead of 8 small ones.
- When using large bread slices, cut the toast into halves. While sandwiches look pretty when cut into triangles, Chilli Cheese Toast looks interesting when cut into two rectangles.
For the Chilli Cheese Mixture
How to Make the Perfect Chilli Cheese Toast
What to do When One Does Not Have an Oven?
Chili cheese toasts makes a delectable evening snack. Not to mention it gets ready within minutes. I hope you will try this recipe and that it will turn out delicious for you.