Chicken tikka biryani is a delicious and scrumptious mixture of chicken, rice and spices. I am sharing a simple and easy recipe of chicken tikka biryani recipe with you. This appetizing recipe of chicken tandoori/ tikka biryani is extremely delectable. Here I have used biryani masala powder of lazeez brand and garam masala powder of everest brand. The spices tender the chicken and rice well.
The charcoal gives a rich tandoori and smoky tandoori flavor and aroma to the biryani. Follow the step by step procedure to make chicken tikka biryani and you will get a perfect chicken tikka dum biryani. This recipe is also called as chicken tikka dum biryani because at last all the spices, chicken and rice is cooked on low flame that is on dum.
The rice must be half cooked as it is again cooked with the chicken on dum. This recipe of chicken tikka biryani needs prep work. Chicken biryani recipe is a bit lengthy process. The ingredients must be ready beforehand. The marinate tenders the chicken well and lends a unique flavor. Garnish the biryani with lemon and mint leaves. Serve the chicken biryani hot with cucumber raita.
This recipe of Chicken Tikka Biryani yields 3 – 4 servings. For the purpose of measurement, 1 cup = 250 ml.
How to make Chicken Tikka Biryani with step by step pictures.
- Chicken – 500 grams
- Rice – 500 grams
- Onion – 500 grams, sliced
- Green Chill – 2
- Oil – 200 grams
- Cinnamon – 4 sticks
- Cloves – 10
- Black pepper – 15
- Cardamom – 8
- Bay leaves – 4
- Caraway seeds – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp
- Salt – To Taste
- Thick yogurt/dahi – 100 grams
- Biryani masala – 4 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 ½ tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – To Fry
- Charcoal – 2 inch, piece
- Saffron/orange food colour – to garnish
- Pudina/mint leaves – to garnish
How to make Chicken Tikka Biryani.
- Prep your ingredients.
- Wash and drain the chicken. Add thick yogurt/dahi, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, biryani masala, garam masala powder, salt and ginger – garlic paste. Mix everything well so that the marinade covers the chicken well and let it marinate for half an hour.
- Slice the onion.
- Heat a skillet and add oil to the skillet.
- Place the sliced onion into the hot oil.
- Fry the onion till turns to golden brown colour. The crispy fried onions are also called as barista
- Remove the fried onion/barista on a plate. Allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- Heat a cooking vessel and add 800 ml water, green chillies, 50 grams oil, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, caraway Seeds, cardamom, bay leaves and salt.
- Allow it to boil on high flame.
- Wash and drain the rice well and add into the cooking vessel.
- Allow it to boil on high flame.
- Reduce the flame to medium and let the rice cook. Do not overcook the rice instead of that rice must be half cooked, because again it will be cooked with the masala. The rice is ready, off the flame.
- Now take 1/4th of the fried onions/barista in a plate and the remaining 3/4th fried onions/barista in the other plate
- Crush the remaining 3/4th fried onions/barista with the help of your hand.
- After half an hour the chicken is marinated. Heat a charcoal piece on the flame till it turns red. Place small bowl in the middle of marinate and transfer the hot charcoal to the bowl using a pair of tongs. Pour 1 tsp of oil on the hot charcoal and immediately cover it with lid to trap the smoke in.
- After 5 minutes, open the lid. Take a cooking vessel and place the marinated chicken into it.
- Now add oil, fried and crushed onions/ crushed barista, coriander leaves and 4 tbsp water.
- Mix them well.
- Now sprinkle half of the remaining 1/4th barista on the chicken marinate.
- Place the rice on top of the chicken marinate.
- Now pour the saffron soaked in milk or orange food colour on the rice. Sprinkle the remaining barista and coriander leaves on the rice. Cover the cooking vessel with the lid.
- Allow it to cook for 5 minutes on high flame and 25 – 30 minutes on low flame. Open the lid.
- Chicken tikka biryani is ready to serve. Serve hot with cucumber raita. Enjoy!